17 Important Questions Buyers Should Ask an Inspector
By Carolyn Rogers
The inspection of a property is such an important part of the home buying process. Yet, many buyers may not put much thought into who performs this vital role. There are many important questions to ask in addition to how much an inspector charges and when the inspector is available.
Here’s a list of suggested questions to ask an inspector in order to find the right professional for you:
1. What types of licenses do you hold and what kind of training do you have?
2. Do you belong to a professional inspector association?
3. How long have you been licensed in Texas?
4. Are you a full-time home inspector?
5. How much do you charge? When do you expect the fee to be paid?
6. Do you inspect gas lines, swimming pools, spas, septic systems, and wells? Do you charge extra for these? Do you charge extra based on the size of the home? Do you charge extra for multiple AC units or any other items?
7. How much do you charge for a reinspection after repairs are completed?
8. Do you go up on the roof to inspect it?
9. How long will the inspection typically take?
10. What items off the standard report form will you inspect?
11. Can I attend the inspection?
12. Will you point out items when possible that need attention or repair so I can see for myself?
13. How long will it take to receive a written inspection report?
14. What instruments do you use in the inspection to check for gas leaks, electricity, HVAC, etc?
15. Do you also do termite (wood-destroying insect) inspections? Do you own a pest control company?
16. Can I call you with questions that come up later?
17. Can you give me names and phone numbers of three people for whom you’ve inspected homes recently?
Texas Association of Realtors